Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Canelos Clown Car – My Cup Overflows

It’s the weekend!  Get ready … the weekends for a family of five can be quite chaotic – as you can imagine.  I always wonder what the neighbors are thinking as they witness all of the activity at the Canelos house. Olivia is playing basketball again this year, and yes folks, there are only (count them) two home games this season! 

So, that means every weekend we all “pile” into the car* with all of our stuff: duffle bags, boots, gloves, coats, mp3 players, headphones, papers, Jen’s big purse, a Ziploc of barbecue chips, cups of coffee … and then, we HIT the road to some exotic locale like Panora or Anita. This week it’s Fontanelle!  Oh boy!

Because he is such a wonderful, thoughtful husband, Paul always asks on the way home, “Would you like to stop anywhere?” I just sit there and “blink” at him. The mind just “reels” at the opportunities to “stop” in rural Iowa (I was raised in rural Iowa, so I can say that). As politely as I can, I give him a simple, “Um, no thanks.”

On Sunday mornings, we once again “pile” into and out of the car - Dad, Jen, three kids and all of their stuff. The sight is almost comical. We look like a clown car as we get in and out … five people and their mounds of “stuff.” 

But, those closest to me can tell you how long I’ve waited for the “clown car” full of husband and family. God has been slowly “filling my cup” and now it filled to overflowing

I have learned that when you discover a point in your relationship with God, in which you stop dwelling on the things you think you want, and your relationship with Him becomes one that’s “exclusive of anyone or anything else, exclusive of any other desires or belongings” ... He rewards you beyond anything you can imagine and fills your cup to overflowing

Psalm 23:5-6 
My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

*As a side note: yes, I know we need a bigger car, but I am just not a minivan kind of girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment