Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Life is Dee-licious!!!

So here it goes … I never thought I would be “blogging.” Interesting term, but that’s another “blog” for another time.  In my 20+ year career, one thing I have discovered that I really love is writing. My head is so full of “stuff,” that it’s time to “empty it!”  I also recently acquired a whole cast of characters who teach me daily lessons and give me really good material. 

As a new wife and mother of three, I am still making adjustments to this “new” life … trying to fit everything in between daycare pick-ups, basketball games, updating I Pods … you get the idea. One of the things I haven’t been able to accomplish at the end of my day, after many years of faithfully doing so, is my daily Bible reading. However, as I listen to my Christian radio station in the morning, I am given a scripture each day. Since my commute to work is now 45 minutes, I have a lot of time to meditate on that verse.

One of my favorite lines from a movie is “… I just chew on it until all of the flavor is gone and then stick it in my hair.” That’s what I have been doing for the past few months with my verse. I have a lot of time to think on my drives to and from work. I decided to blog some of the lessons that the Lord has taught me through my family and my life.

Let me introduce you to my cast of characters … my husband Paul, 15-year old Joe, 12- year old Olivia and 4-year old Sam. Daily life with these “characters” brings fun, blessings and challenges … joys and frustrations. God uses it all for His glory.

It’s amazing how much wisdom you can gain from a 4-year old! Sam loves Star Wars and barbecue potato chips … oh, and candy! Let’s not forget the sugar. I think 4-year olds are 10% chocolate milk, 30% barbecue chips and 60% sugar.

We saved some candy canes from the Christmas holiday and have been “rationing” them each night to the children. Last night, we reached the bottom of the box (insert jumping child here). Since we’ve been working on manners, Sam, in his most polite voice asks …”Dad, may I PLEASE have the last candy cane?” I sat on the other side of the table and watched as his Dad handed him the candy cane and since the jumping continued, he bumped Dad’s hand and the candy cane fell to the floor and broke.

Instead of tears, we heard Sam's matter-of- fact voice say, “It’s still dee-licious, we don’t need to throw it away.” As I was replaying this scene in my mind this morning (and laughing to myself ) … I realized that’s a wonderful illustration of our lives. We come to God "hard and broken." Yet, He sees us as “dee-licious” and makes us whole. He would never "throw us away." He savors our lives even when we feel less than “dee-licious.”  

So the last, broken candy cane made for sticky, little hands, face and furniture, but it was played with and delighted in until the last little piece dissolved into a sweet, little smile … savored right to the last bit of “dee-licious-ness.”  As you go through the day today … remember how sweet and “rich” you are in God’s sight and that He put you where you are right this minute for a reason … He is relishing your sweetness and using every last “bit” of you for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment