You totally know what I am talking about ... things like:
- door slamming
- emptying the ice cube tray and putting it back in the freezer ... EMPTY!
- chocolate pudding splattered all over the counter/walls
- gum wrappers and other various items in the toilet
- empty cereal boxes put back in the cupboard
- cereal and/or candy wrappers on the back of the sofa (and generally strewn about the living room)
- lounging around while everyone is working and complaining how bored "we" are
- instead of helping get dinner ON the table ... constantly ask when it will be ready
- pee on the toilet seat (leaving the seat up at all times ... just in case of an emergency)
- chocolate pudding smeared across the coffee table
- yelling from across the house or the yard and expecting an answer
- texting while others are are trying to talk
- silverware in the garbage can
- constantly saying "we" should do this or that when they really mean "you" should do it
- ... don't forget this one ... "I am too busy ... the universal excuse to get out of anything
- acting like we have rocks in our heads
Okay, we haven't actually made an Excel spreadsheet or hunted down a smartphone app for it. Paul and I just look at each other and say, "we're adding it to the list!"
We had the "Lord's Supper" last Sunday. I was praying silently ... "getting things right" with the Lord ... asking forgiveness for "MY LIST." Oh boy! What a long list that is! I am so thankful I can ask for forgiveness and God let's me start anew with a clean "slate." Thankfully, He has "a shorter memory" than we earthly parents.
While we are sometimes serious about making that list as earthly parents ... in the next moment as godly parents, we remember how much we love and miss them when they are not with us. We are concerned for their well-being. We hurt when they hurt and we rejoice in their happiness.
Isn't that just so reflective of our heavenly Father in His love for us?
I am so glad God isn't into making payback lists for His children. Amen ...