Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Shhhh ... listen ...

When I first started my blog, Paul laughed and reinforced the fact that I would never lack  for “material”  around our house. He started running through many things that had happened in the past couple of years that would "make for some good blogging" ... one of which happened last year around this time.

It was a cold, winter day and Paul kept hearing a noise in the house that sounded like dripping water. We had such a harsh winter, he was afraid of what might be dripping.

He and his "mini-me," Sam, began wandering around the house trying to find the source of the “dripping.” They would walk a few steps, then stop, “Shhhh … listen.” When the dynamic duo came to a halt and cocked their heads sideways to hear the drips, they no longer heard the sound. When they continued their search, they could hear it again.

After several spins around the house, and checking all of the faucets and pipes, Paul finally realized that it was not water dripping, it was the “swooshing” sound made by Sam’s little, brown, corduroy pants as he walked.

There are times in life when I hear God speak. Some people say God speaks directly to them. God speaks to me in different ways … through the lyrics of music, my pastor's sermon, the common sense words of my husband or a friend, and yes, even in lessons I learn through parenting three children.  

There are also times when I am not sure if it’s God speaking at all…what exactly am I "hearing?!" How do I know if it is indeed God speaking to me?  I have to remind myself, "Shhhh ... listen." He tells us, "Be still." Through prayer and opening His Word, I can more easily discern His voice. 

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment